Best Milwaukee Cordless Tools
Whenever you’re doing a repair, large or small, you want to have the right set of tools on hand. There’s nothing more frustrating than needing to stop in the middle of a task to run to the store because you don’t have what you need. To be prepared, you might want to purchase a comprehensive set of reliable tools, and Milwaukee makes sets for just about every repair need.
Milwaukee has been manufacturing quality tools for nearly 100 years. Besides selling tools individually, the company also offers a wide variety of tool sets that are curated to match various home repair needs. However, with hundreds of tools available and numerous possible combinations of those tools, you might need a little help determining which set is best for you.
This buying guide walks you through your options to help you make the most informed choice. It covers what tools you can expect to find in various sets and offers some safety tips as well. If you’d prefer to make a quick selection, consider one of the Milwaukee tool sets that we’ve spotlighted above.
Milwaukee 2691-22 18-Volt Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit
This is probably Milkwaukee’s best 18V cordless drill and driver kit. It comes with both a compact drill and a ¼-inch hex impact driver, 2 lithium-ion batteries, charger, belt clip, and carrying case for $200-$300 on Amazon (depending on the package and seller). The cordless drill delivers 400 in-pounds of torque and only weighs 4 lbs. The drill is also equipped with an LED light, which is great for dark working areas. The cordless impact driver delivers up to 1,400 in-pounds of torque, making it capable of handling a very wide range of material. These Milwaukee tools and accessories are also backed with a 5-year warranty.
- 2-in cordless drill and cordless impact driver set
- Battery level indicator
- Enough torque to tackle most surfaces
- Repels water and shock
- It’s an 18V drills, so it may be challenged on super-duty surfaces like concrete
Bottom line: A super reliable and long-lasting 18V drill and driver combo kit that’s perfect for both homeowners and professionals like contractors, electricians, and car shop owners.
Milwaukee 2897-22 M18 Fuel 2-tool Combo Kit
If you’re in the market for a combo kit like we reviewed in #1, also take a look at the Milwaukee 2897 cordless drill and impact driver set. At $250-$350 on Amazon, this is a bit pricier compared to the cordless tool kits you can get from the competition, but well worth the price. It comes with the 18V corldess drill and 18V impact driver, 2 batteries, a charger, and a hardshell carrying case. Batteries are very long lasting, with users claiming battery life of 8 hours. The drills also have 4 speed settings, compared to the 2 speed settings offered by most competing tools. This gives you a lot more control and make it much easier to avoid things like stripping screws. Users claim that the impact driver in this set is one of the most powerful ones out there, capable of ripping through cement.
- 2-in-1 18V cordless drill and impact driver
- Long lasting batteries (8 hours)
- Very powerful impact driver
- 4 speed settings
- Relatively pricey vs. competition
- Not the highest quality chucks on the cordless drill, but this can be replaced if you need to
Bottom line: A highly durable 18 volt cordless drill and impact driver kits with one of the most powerful impact drivers on the market.
Milwaukee 2697-22 M18 18-Volt 1/2-Inch 2-Tool Combo Kit
This is Milwaukee’s most affordable, yet reliable, cordless drill and driver combo kit. It comes with Milkwaukee’s M18 hammer drill and M18 ¼ inch hex impact driver. The cordless hammer drill is equipped with a power-management overload technology, which prevents the drill from overworking and burning out. The hex impact driver features quick-change chuck for easy bit changing on the job.
- Very affordable 2-for-1, priced between $150-$200 on Amazon
- Power management overload protection technology prevents tools from burning out
- Quick-change chuck for easy bit change
- The LED light on the hammer drill can be placed a little better
- Batteries are relatively heavy, adding to the weight of the tools
Bottom line: A super affordable cordless drill and impact set capable of tackling a wide range of tasks, even for professionals like electricians and contractors. A true bang for your buck.
Milwaukee 2656-20 M18 1/4″ Hex Imp
Are you just looking for a bare, powerful hex impact driver? Look no further, because this is one of the most affordable and powerful ones out there. This 18V impact driver can deliver torque of up to 2,200 in-pounds, which is enough to drive through concrete. The small size of the impact driver makes it very easy to handle its power in tight spaces. It comes equipped with an LED light for dark working environments as well. And as with almost every Milwaukee tools, users rave about its durability.
- 2,200 in-pounds of torque is enough to even drive through concrete
- Light and compact, so it’s easy to handle in tight spaces
- Absorbs shock and protect against outside forces
- Only one speed setting
Bottom line: A great reliable and affordable 18V impact driver. At only $50, this is great to keep in the garage whether you are a homeowner with fixes around the house or a professional who needs the tools for everyday use.
Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL 1/2″ Hammer Drill/Driver
The Milwaukee 18-volt FUEL hammer drills are beasts. If you’re searching for a new powerful hammer drill for your garage or tool belt, definitely consider this. This 18V cordless drill is one of the most powerful offered by any brand on the market, with a brushless motor that delivers up to 1,200 in-lbs of torque! Users claim it will drill through concrete, so if you’re a homeowner with maintenance and repair projects or a professional with more heavy-duty work, this cordless power drill will definitely do the job. This specific Amazon listing is a bare drill, so it does not come with any accessories or batteries. You can currently purchase this for $120-$170.
- 1,200 in-lbs of torque makes it one of the most powerful cordless hammer drills on the market
- Long-lasting battery life (about 5 hours)
- Small and compact
- Bare tool only – no accessories, batteries, or charger
- Relatively pricey of a bare tool 18V cordless drill, but well worth the price due to its power and durability
Bottom line: Look no further if you are in the market for a bare professional grade cordless drill to add to your existing tool collection.
MILWAUKEE'S 2606-22CT M18 Cordless Drill/Driver Kit, 18 V, Red
This is a very durable 18V cordless drill that’s ideal for keeping in your garage for everyday fixes, maintenance, and projects. It’s strong enough to tackle just about every household and garage project from hanging drywall to assembling furniture. It has a brushed motor, which while slightly weaker that brushless motors, is much lighter and makes the tool much more compact and a lot easier to handle. As with the other Milwaukee M18 cordless drills, it’s equipped with REDLINK technology that ensures the motor does not overwork. This makes for a long-lasting tool that will last you a few good, productive years.
- Super lightweight and compact, making it easy to handle
- Batteries charge in only 30 minutes
- Very affordable
- The motor is a brushed motor, so it’s a little less powerful than the brushless motors on the FUEL series
- Not ideal for super heavy duty jobs
Bottom line: This is a great do-it-all home improvement drill, as well as a reliable drill for garages and shops. While not the most powerful, it still has Milwaukee’s unmatched durability and lifespace.
Milwaukee 2407-22 M12 3/8 Drill Driver Kit
This is the best 12V cordless drill driver that Milwaukee offers, and arguably on the best one on the market. This cordless drill delivers up to 275 in-lbs of power. While seemingly low compared to the 18V drills up top, that’s enough to tackle just about every basic home repair and maintenance job from hanging frames to assembling furniture. It’s equipped with some neat features like a battery level gauge and a metal ratcheting chuck for added durability. This drill kit can currently be purchased for $100-$130 on Amazon for the drill with 2 batteries, a charger, and a case.
- Ultra compact and easy to handle in tight spaces
- On-board battery level gauge
- Metal ratcheting chuck makes this drill highly durable
- Batteries last approximately 1.5 hours – enough for quicker fixes and projects, but not ideal for professionals who use drills all day
Bottom line: A rugged 12V drill driver that’s perfect for light to medium duty maintenance and improvement projects.
Milwaukee 2494-22 M12 Cordless Combo Drill Kit, 2 Battery
If you’re looking for a lighter-duty drill and impact driver combo kit to keep around the house for everyday fixes and maintenance, check out this package. These are actually considered professional grade 12V drills and impact drivers, so if you’re a handyman or contractor who spends most of their day tackling light to medium-duty drill work, these tools are perfect. It’s super compact so it also makes for a comfortable addition to your tool belt. The drill driver delivers up to 275 in-lbs of torque, while the impact driver delivers a best-in-class 850 in-lbs.
- Very compact professional-grade 12V cordless tools
- Great as a light to medium-duty go-to drill for your toolbelt
- Impact driver delivers best-in-class torque (850 in-lbs)
- Not powerful enough for heavy-duty construction work and material
Bottom line: A very reliable and affordable cordless drill and impact driver combo kit that’s great for both homeowners and professionals looking for a go-to drill for light to medium duty fixes.
Whenever you use tools, there are a number of precautions that you need to take to stay safe.
- Wear the proper safety equipment. You want to protect your eyes, ears, hands, feet, lungs, and more. Don’t neglect to wear the gear you need for the job you’re doing.
- Use the right tool. Never use a tool for any purpose other than the one for which it was designed.
- Read and understand all instructions. Many tools have features and functions that aren’t obvious. Always read the owner’s manual so you know exactly what a tool is capable of as well as how to use it properly.
- Inspect your tool before using it. Whether it’s manual or powered, check the tool to make sure all the parts are secure and it functions as expected.
- Keep your tools clean. Clean tools work more efficiently, which makes them safer.
- Keep your work area clean. A cluttered work area is a dangerous work area.
- Keep up with tool maintenance. While some tools are virtually maintenance-free, others require regular upkeep. Make sure you care for your tools so they not only operate safely but also last longer.
Q. How did Milwaukee Tool get its start?
A. Over 100 years ago, Henry Ford commissioned a Wisconsin manufacturer named A. H. Petersen to develop a compact version of a 1/4-inch power drill. Petersen successfully created the first industrial drill that was light enough to be held in one hand. At just 5 pounds, the Hole-Shooter was a success. Petersen went on to found the A. H. Petersen Company with business partner Albert F. Siebert. After a fire put the young company out of business, Siebert purchased the company’s surviving assets at auction and reopened as Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation.
Q. Who owns Milwaukee Tool?
A. Currently, Milwaukee Tool is owned by Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd., a global manufacturer of home improvement products that’s based in Hong Kong. Besides Milwaukee, Techtronic Industries also owns companies such as Ryobi, Dirt Devil, Homelite, and AEG.
Q. What is Milwaukee One-Key?
A. Milwaukee One-Key is a premium feature that allows you to control every aspect of your tool usage via an app. You can set running speeds, torque, and even program a saw to automatically stop when you finish a cut. One-Key also allows you to track every One-Key tool you own, so you always know its exact location. Additionally, if a One-Key tool is ever stolen, you can disable it remotely, so it no longer functions.